From creams packed with anti-aging ingredients to energy devices that promote collagen production, there are plenty of options for firming, tightening, and lifting your skin to restore a younger-looking appearance without surgery. The key to a successful treatment is to select the procedure or product that meets your specific needs and goals best.
What Causes Loose Skin?
Aging is the most common cause of loose skin. As you age, the body produces less collagen and elastin –two essential proteins for smooth, firm, and plump skin.
The impact of the natural stretching and contraction of the skin along with weight loss, sun exposure, smoking, and other health and lifestyle factors also contribute to loose, sagging skin on the face and neck. If you are concerned about wrinkles, facial hollowing, and jowl formation, there are several ways to help turn back the clock on aging.
Topical treatment of mild cases of skin laxity is available, courtesy of firming creams and other skincare products with powerful active ingredients like hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, and retinoids at their base. The formulas of these skin-tightening creams repair skin damage, boost cell renewal, protect the skin from pollutants, and hydrate the skin, treating the common signs of aging, including the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and loose skin.
While topical treatments can be helpful, they rarely produce the dramatic improvement many patients from Princeton, NJ want. These products are most effective when they are used in combination with professional treatments that address skin laxity at a cellular level.
While it’s not possible to actually tighten the skin with exercise, you can build active, lean muscles underneath the skin, giving the appearance of tighter, firmer skin, especially after weight loss. Exercise options to help maintain a youthful look might include:
Strength training – Body weight exercises, weights, machines, and resistance bands will help build muscle mass.
Pilates – The controlled movements help tone and tighten the muscles under the skin, giving the abs, arms, thighs, and glutes a firm and tight look.
Cosmetic Treatments for Best Results
While you can take proactive steps by using home remedies to augment your skincare regimen, they cannot replace the expertise of an experienced facial plastic surgeon. These skin experts have spent years studying the skin and discovering the most effective procedures for their patients.
Laser and energy devices can be calibrated to precisely treat the deeper dermal tissue that creams and serums cannot reach, providing even better results.
Depending on the degree of your skin laxity, your provider will put together a skin-tightening treatment plan tailored to your specific needs and goals.
Our Princeton, NJ office provides the following non-surgical skin tightening treatments:
- EmbraceRF / FaceTite – This procedure combines two technologies: FaceTite and Morpheus8. RF energy combined with microneedling helps boost collagen remodeling, resulting in tighter skin, reduced fat, and more defined facial contours.
- Fractora / Morpheus 8 – These devices combine RF energy with microneedling to address facial skin concerns such as wrinkles of the cheeks and around the mouth, tighten the skin of the jawline and upper neck, and reduce mild jowling and crepey upper neck skin.
- Smartlipo-PrecisionTx – This laser works for face and neck contouring. It involves a type of SmartLipo that specifically targets the chin and neck area, sagging neck and jowls around the cheeks and lower face, providing an effective skin tightening procedure for contouring the lower face.
- AccuTite – This device uses RF energy to stimulate fat reduction and skin tightening in hard-to-reach or small areas of the face and body, including the eyelids.
- Fraxel Repair Laser Resurfacing – This laser uses fractionated or pixelated pinpoints of light to precisely treat thousands of microscopic areas of your skin. It penetrates deep into the skin to remove old sun-damaged skin cells and stimulates your body’s own natural healing process to form brand new skin cells along with new and stronger collagen, resulting in tighter and firmer skin.
- Nova Thread Lift – This treatment uses absorbable sutures to lift tissue, improving facial aging concerns like sagging skin, volume loss, and droopy jowls, resulting in a noticeably younger appearance.
- Injectables – Botox injections and dermal fillers are designed to reduce signs of aging, add volume to facial features, and refresh skin tone and texture, resulting in a more youthful-looking appearance.
- Evoke Facial Remodeling – This no-touch device uses radiofrequency (RF) energy to penetrate the deep layers of the skin and remodel the tissue and muscle in the targeted area. It rejuvenates the skin as it effectively repositions fat and tightens loose skin, helping to achieve a more youthful appearance.
Tighten Loose Skin With Safe & Effective Treatments from Dr. Eugenie Brunner
in Princeton, NJ
Eugenie Brunner, MD, FACS, is a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon committed to rejuvenating the skin and restoring a youthful appearance. She utilizes injectables, laser treatments, various progressive technologies, and advanced skin-tightening techniques to revitalize facial features and enhance the overall facial aesthetic.
Dr. Brunner has developed her proprietary treatment, the Tri-Zone Laser Lift, which combines Smartlipo/FaceTite, dermal fillers, and Clear + Brilliant and/or PicoSure to create an effective procedure for producing tighter, firmer skin with enhanced facial contours. She can customize a treatment plan using advanced technology, a combination of minimally invasive, non-surgical skin tightening treatments, and her keen artistic eye to provide patients with beautiful and natural-looking results.
We recommend starting with a consultation at our Princeton, NJ office to evaluate your skin condition and discuss your goals. Contact Dr. Brunner today to schedule an appointment.